This post is however intended to clear that ignorance and in its place, make resident a new knowledge that would help you and family members in case cancer should try to raise its ugly head in your mist.
By now I believe that you are aware of the fruit Soursop even though the relationship between Soursop and cancer might seem a distant fact to you. So we are just going to go straight to what cancer is.
I have already made mention of the health benefits of soursop when it comes to cancer in a previous post but on this one, we shall be taking it a step deeper.
What Is Cancer?
Cancer is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body-Wikipedia
When infected with cancer some of the body’s cells begin to divide without stopping and spread into surrounding tissues.
There are now up to 100 cancer types and each as bad as the other.
Many people are now hungry for alternative medicine, believing that it is better than what science currently have on the table, thus the hype about the fruit soursop and cancer.
The search for holistic medicine has seen a lot of people seeking out century old alternative remedy like soursop cure for Cancer.
It is the opinion of medical practitioners that Soursop should not be hailed as a cure for Cancer due to the fact that it has not been tested on human subjects yet and thus inconclusive.
But like most people would tell you, it is still way more safer than chemotherapy or whatever Cancer treatment there is.
In other to be objective, I have tried to collect together all the Soursop and Cancer research findings crying the useful effect between soursop and Cancer.
After which you can decide for yourself if soursop is indeed worth all the hype.
I will also like to inform you, that there are facts pointing to research frauds through which even alternative medicines that works are not given due credit but are instead cast in bad light.
As some would say the big pharmaceutical companies would have a lot to loose should cancer cures like that of soursop be openly accepted through trials and even their backing.
The same viewpoint holds that these companies are more interested in the treatment of Cancer rather than it’s cure.
Because treatmwnt means more money for the making.
The Soursop And Cancer Research Findings
1.- In laboratory studies, graviola extracts was shown to be able to kill some types of liver and breast cancer cells that are resistant to particular chemotherapy drugs.
2.- While research suggests soursop can fight cancer, it has not been studied in humans. As a result, there is no medical evidence of its safety or efficacy.
3.-In another Soursop and Cancer study published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry in 1997 suggests that soursop compounds tested on breast cancer cells in culture were more effective than chemotherapy in destroying the cells.
5.-In a Soursop and Cancer Research from over 20 laboratory tests carried out by one of America’s largest drug manufacturers suggested that the graviola extracts were able to demonstrate the following:
- Effectively target and kill malignant cells in 12 types of cancer, including colon, breast, prostate, lung and pancreatic cancer.
- The tree compounds proved to be up to 10,000 times stronger in slowing the growth of cancer cells than Adriamycin, a commonly used chemotherapeutic drug
- What’s more, unlike chemotherapy, the compound extracted from the Graviola tree selectively hunts down and kills only cancer cells. It does not harm healthy cells
6.- Scientists with the Tepic Institute of Technology (Instituto Tecnológico de Tepic – ITT) in Mexico discovered acetogenins , a compound in the fruit with incredible chemotherapeutic properties.
Team leader, Montalvo González, explained, “The research seeks to add value to the fruit so the least of it is wasted. We focus on acetogenins compounds because in Mexico, cancer is a disease that is increasing among the population and scientific research shows that the compounds found in this fruit can encapsulate tumors, but this depends on the [ how much is] amount consumed.”
7.- In 1996, research published in the Journal of Natural Products showed that compound 1 (one of five extracted from the seed of the graviola fruit) was “selectively cytotoxic to colon adenocarcinoma cells (HT-29)” and “10,000 times stronger” in inhibiting cancer growth than the chemotherapy drug adriamycin.
8.- A cell study in 1999 showed graviola had anti-prostate cancer and breast cancer activity; another 2002 cell study showed that graviola exhibited anti-hepatoma (liver cancer) activity..
9.- Studies performed at the University of Nebraska found that graviola inhibited the growth of pancreatic cancer cells.
10.- In 2011, the journal Nutrition and Cancer revealed highly promising research on graviola and breast cancer. Researchers found that graviola fruit extract (GFE) suppressed expression of a breast-cancer causing oncogene known as epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) in animal models.
Cancer Key facts According To WHO
- Cancer is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide, with approximately 14 million new cases in 2012 .
- The number of new cases is expected to rise by about 70% over the next 2 decades.
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally, and was responsible for 8.8 million deaths in 2015. Globally, nearly 1 in 6 deaths is due to cancer.
- Approximately 70% of deaths from cancer occur in low- and middle-income countries.
- Around one third of deaths from cancer are due to the 5 leading behavioral and dietary risks: high body mass index, low fruit and vegetable intake, lack of physical activity, tobacco use, and alcohol use.
- Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer and is responsible for approximately 22% of cancer deaths. .
- Cancer causing infections, such as hepatitis and human papilloma virus (HPV), are responsible for up to 25% of cancer cases in low- and middle-income countries .
- Late-stage presentation and inaccessible diagnosis and treatment are common. In 2015, only 35% of low-income countries reported having pathology services generally available in the public sector. More than 90% of high-income countries reported treatment services are available compared to less than 30% of low-income countries.
- The economic impact of cancer is significant and is increasing. The total annual economic cost of cancer in 2010 was estimated at approximately US$ 1.16 trillion .
- Only 1 in 5 low- and middle-income countries have the necessary data to drive cancer policy .
I hope this post on the relationship between Soursop and Cancer was indicative enough?
“Journal of Dietary Supplements”; Tropical American Plants in the Treatment of Infectious Diseases; Lana Dvorkin-Camiel and Julia S. Whelan; December 2008
“African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines”; Anti-hyperglycemic Activities of Annona Muricata (Linn); D.O. Adeyemi, et al.; October 2008