Biography of Wizkid
Today on our Nigerian celebrities biographies section we shall be writing on the biography of Wizkid.
- On April 5, 2016, Wizkid became Nigeria’s first artist to emerge on Billboard’s Twitter Last 24 hours chart following his guest feature on Drake’s afrobeat-infused ” One Dance” single, which charted at number 21 and in May 12, 2016, the song reached number-one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, a position it kept for 10 non-consecutive weeks.
Wizkid was born on the 6th of July 1990 in Surulere and actually started recording at the age of 11.
As a child he grew up listening to songs by King Sunny Ade, Fela Kuti, and Bob Marley.
But Wizkid was not always the name he operated with. Until 2006 he went by the stage name Lil Prinz.
His mother was a Christian while his dad was a Muslim who was married to 3 wives.
He had 12 siblings who were all females.
In other words Wizkid grew up in an interfaith household.
At that young age Wizkid and some of his friends from church would form a group “Glorious Five” and together would release a collaborative album.
According to Wizkid Naeto C was one of the people who mentored and coached him when he was 15 years old.
He was also present during the recording sessions for Sound Sultan’s debut album, Jagbajantis as well as watch 2Face Idibia record songs for his Grass 2 Grace album. This was at a particular period in his life when he was delayed from recording songs by the producer OJB Jezreel for a whole year. And during which he frequented PointBeat Studios .
In 2009, he would sign a record deal with Banky W.’s record label Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E). Where he would rise to prominence in 2010 with the release of the song ” Holla at Your Boy ” from his debut studio album, Superstar (2011).
But was his parents initially in support of his music career? No!
To sway them into supporting his dream, he began spending lots of time in the studio so as to show seriousness.
Prior to signing a recording deal with Banky W.s label, he would worked with Naeto C, OJB Jezreel, Ikechukwu, and M.I affording him the chance of developing his craft.
In mid-2009, he dropped out of Lagos State University (LASU) to focus on his craft. He later attended Lead City University , but dropped out after completing two sessions.
- On 2 January 2010, he released ” Holla at Your Boy” as the album’s lead single. The song would go on to earn Wizkid the Next Rated award at The Headies 2011, and was nominated for Best Pop Single at the same award show.
- It was also nominated for Best Afro Pop Video at the 2011 Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA).
- The music video for “Holla at Your Boy” was nominated for Most Gifted Newcomer Video at the 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards.
Work on Wizkid’s second studio album, titled Ayo, began in 2012 and continued through 2014. The album itself was initially titled Chosen.
- On 2 May 2013, Wizkid released the album’s lead single, ” Jaiye Jaiye “, featuring Femi Kuti.
- “On Top Your Matter” was released as the album’s second single on 26 October 2013; it was produced by Del B.
- The music video for the single, released on 13 February 2014.
As for the endorsements.
- In 2012, Wizkid signed a one-year endorsement deal with Pepsi reportedly worth 350,000 U.S dollars. It was later reported that he had renewed the contract for another two years.
- On 28 May 2013, Premium Times reported that Wizkid signed a one-year deal with MTN Nigeria.
- On 18 June 2015, Pulse reported that Wizkid ditched MTN and signed a ₦128 million deal with GLO.
There is no biography of Wizkid without mentioning that he is a father of the boys from different baby mama’s.