Today we talk about Burna Boy and even after this post is published and must have acquired lots of views, it would still be getting updates in the future.
So remember to always check back.
Burna Boy is a favorite and the undisputed heavyweight champion in the Nigerian music arena.
His fame like wild fire is spreading fast. Already a huge name in Africa this Nigerian musician is gradually laying the foundation for an international crossover into the American and British music market.
Effort that is already paying off with a Grammy nomination tied to his name. Nigeria is praying he brings home the Award when it eventually holds on January 26, 2020.
The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards ceremony is set to hold at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
And the Nigerian singer’s album AFRICAN GIANT has been nominated for the BEST WORLD MUSIC ALBUM category.
Our concern with Burna Boy is a general one. The idea is to create a comprehensive page that should contain every interesting facts as they happen in his life as a Nigerian celebrity.
So let’s Begin!
Interesting Facts About Burna Boy
- Burna Boy was born in Port Harcourt.
- We all know him as Burna Boy but I think it is incomplete that as fans we are ignorant of that important fact, the real name he was given to at birth. He was born with the names Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu.
- Forget about the beards and thick voice range that defines the “Ye” crooner. He is just another young fortunate Nigerian born on 2nd July 1991.
- So far as a musician, the Nigerian musical bad boy has released four albums. With his African Giant album being the latest.
- On June 23rd 2019 Burna Boy was awarded a BET Award for Best International Act in a category that included, Aya Nakamura (France), AKA (South Africa), Dave (UK), Dosseh (France), Giggs (UK) and Mr Eazi (Nigeria).
- He is the grandson of Benson Idonije popularly known for being the first band manager of Afrobeat musician Fela Kuti. He is also part of the group of broadcasters who started Radio Nigeria 2. He is considered one of Nigeria’s most revered music critics.
- His debut studio album L.I.F.E was released on August 12, 2013 by Aristokrat Records. The album sold 40,000 copies on the first day of its release. The entire album was produced by Leriq. And In August 2013, the album peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Reggae Albums chart.
- In 2014 the singer would break away from the grip of Aristocrat records to form his own Record Label, Spaceship Entertainment. From whose stables he would release his second album on 25 November 2015.
- Already known for breaking records, Burna Boy would on the 7th of October 2018, performed before a sold-out crowd at London’s O2 Academy, one of London’s leading music venues situated in Brixton, South London, England. With a capacity is 4,921 (3,760 standing downstairs; 1,079 seated and 72 standing in the circle).
- On 3 January 2019, himself and Mr Eazi were the only Nigerians to perform at the 2019 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.
- He recorded “Ja Ara E”on Beyoncé’s The Lion King: The Gift, making him the only guest artist with their own track on the soundtrack album.
- He is still very much in relationship with his celebrity girl friend Stefflon Don, a British rapper, singer, and songwriter. Who announced their relationship in February 2019. Since then till the time of writing this piece, the two are every bit the celebrity couple we dreamt of. And we believe that as Burna Boy girlfriend she is worth the crown.
- He became musically active from 2010 to this very moment and he has only just began his journey to lasting fame as we are already seeing with the incredible growth of his brand, both locally and internationally.
- The 44th president of the United States of America President Obama named Burna Boy’s Anybody as one of his favorite songs of 2019, on a list of 35 songs that also contained another Nigerian (Rema’s Iron Man).
- 2020 started well for the Nigerian as the song “Own It”in which Stormzy featured him and Ed Sheridan became the first U.K. No. 1 single of 2020. It’s Burna Boy’s first No. 1, and Sheeran’s ninth.
- In December 2019 alone, the singer bought two expensive cars, a week apart from each other. The first was a 2013 model of the Italian supercar, the Ferrari 458 worth $340,000 and a The burgundy Rolls Royce Dawn, worth $346,000 (N125,000,000).
- Burna Boy made the number three spot on New York Times ‘The 54 Best Songs of 2019’ for his song ‘Anybody.’
- American rapper Jay Z listed Burna Boy’s song Collateral Damage on his favorite 2019 ‘Year End Picks’ Playlist of 40-track.
- It was announced on December 12, 2019 that Burna Boy’s ‘Killing Dem‘ would also be featured on Grand Theft Auto 5 (24-track) album.
- In December 2019 the singer was announced as Standard Chartered Bank’s Digital Bank Brand Ambassador. And he had this to say “I am excited to be working with Standard chartered and privileged to be chosen to support their efforts to enhance accessibility to banking services for Nigerians,”
- Burna Boy’s Fourth Album “African Giant” made it into DJBooth list of the 75 best hip-hop and R&B albums of 2019, making number 18 on the list that had Beyonce HOMECOMING: THE LIVE ALBUM taking the 13th spot.
- In 2017, Burna Boy signed with Bad Habit/Atlantic Records in the United States and Warner Music Group internationally.
- The singer alreday have four Soundcity MVP Awards.
- According to Billboard Africa, Burna Boy’s African Giant as the most streamed album in Africa in 2019 ranked number 11 worldwide. In the same vain his song ‘On The Low topped Apple Music Sub-Sahara Africa top 10 streamed songs of 2019.
- 2019 was obviously a very good year for Burna Boy as his fourth studio album ” African Giant” was also able to make it into Billboard’s list of 50 Best Album of 2019, taking the 14th spot.
- Also in 2019 he was crowned “Nigeria’s Most Stylish Musician” by Vogue. It would interest you to know that his stylist is also his sister Ronami Ogulu.
- On Friday, July 26, 2019, Burna Boy appeared on Power 105.1 New York radio show, ‘The Breakfast Club’ hosted by Charlamagne Tha God, Angela Yee and DJ Envy.
- On Aug 19 2019 Legendary musician Elton John gave Burna Boy a shout out on Instagram, letting the Nigerian know that his songs were already on rotation.
- The singer won two awards at The Future Awards Africa 2019, in the categories ‘Young Person of the Year’ and ‘Africa Prize for Music’.
- On July 23 2019 Burna Boy appeared on the late night talk show, Jimmy Kimmel Live! And performed his hit song, “Anybody”.
- On November 15, 2019, the singer appeared on the original soundtrack of upcoming American movie, ‘Queen and Slim.’ While one of his songs was also used on hit American TV series, Billions.
- On the same night that he won Best Africa Act award at the 2019 edition of the MTV EMA’s, his performance at the 12,500 capacity Wembley Arena (SSE Arena) in London made him the first solo Afro beat act to perform to a sold out crowd at that arena.